Chalk is for writing on a blackboard, and charcoal is used to barbeque hamburgers on the grill…right? Well, partly right. Chalk and charcoal are also art materials, great for drawing and creating mixed-media pictures. This art teaching unit from KidsArt brings you all sorts of great projects using these classic materials. Included are activities in:
- The kinds of chalks and charcoal used by artists
- The right paper to use with these
- Drawing techniques
- Famous artists using charcoal
- Activities from MaryAnn Kohl’s Good Earth Art
- Chalk reflections
- Pastels and White Glue…and lots more, like chalk on black paper, a technique used in the “Night Roads” example.
KidsArt art teaching booklets bring you 16 reproducible pages of hands-on art activities. The projects are simple, innovative and easy to use in home or classroom settings. Because the activities are open-ended, teaching the process rather than a specific product or end result, they can be used with many different ages and stages of development, from preschool through middle school.